Our full Attendance Policy can be found here
Reporting an absence
Please call the school office before 9am choosing option 1 to report a child's absence. By law, parents are required to inform the school of the reason for their child’s absence; the best way is by phone call; a verbal excuse given by a child cannot be accepted. If your child has an infectious illness, please inform the school. Please click here for health information.
Unexplained absences will be followed up by a 'Pupil return from absence' letter and it is expected that parents will co-operate by providing the school with the necessary information. Should a pattern of unexplained absences or lateness emerge, it may be necessary to involve the Education Welfare Service.
Pupils attend school for a maximum of 190 days each academic year. Regular attendance is vital for your child's educational progress. The local authority expects that all parents/carers ensure their children attend school whenever possible. Absence during school time is largely prohibited by regulation and hinders academic progress.
Even in exceptional circumstances, the following factors may be taken into account when considering an application for leave:
• Will leave at this point in time be detrimental to the pupil's education?
• Will he/she miss any national tests or examinations?
• Is his/her attendance a cause for concern?
• Is the proposed absence during the month of September or any other transition period?
• Has he/she already had leave during term time this year?
• Did he/she have leave of absence during term time in the previous school year(s)?
• Does he/she have any absences which have been recorded as unauthorised this year?
If work commitments are stated as supporting evidence towards an exceptional reason for requesting leave, parents may be asked to provide employer details and any additional evidence which shows why leave cannot be taken during the school holidays
Parents/Carers who need to request leave during term time should complete an application form, available from the school office or can be printed below as soon as possible prior to the first proposed date of absence. The Head teacher will consider the request and advise in writing within 5 school/working days whether the absence will be authorised or not. The Head teacher may request a meeting with parents before any period of leave is authorised.